Irving ISD Celebrates our Hispanic Community
Irving ISD is celebrating National Hispanic Heritage Month from September 15 to October 15. We honor this rich culture for their contributions to our city, school district and classrooms.
For the 2019-2020 school year, Irving ISD has welcomed over 33,000 students. Of those students, 73%, or 24,000 students, are identified as Hispanic. As a district, we value every one of these students and families for the experiences they share, the culture they practice and the language they speak. Our students’ diversity is our strength!
Throughout National Hispanic Heritage Month, Irving ISD will reflect on the great accomplishments of the Hispanic community and celebrate with school events, food tastings, music performances, art displays, curriculum design, presentations and much more.
Check out the ways our schools are celebrating National Hispanic Heritage Month:
Brandenburg Elementary School
- Art projects in Specials
- Library lessons and activities
J. Haley Elementary
- Hispanic Heritage Dress Day, September 16
- Pan Dulce for staff, September 27
- Hispanic foods potluck
- Classroom halls decorated with flags representing Spanish-speaking countries, Beginning September 16
- Hispanic Heritage bulletin board, Beginning September 16
Lee Elementary School
- Morning music from Latin countries playing in the morning
- Daily announcements highlighting Hispanic Heritage facts
- Hispanic Heritage Performance, September 27
Stipes Elementary School
- Hispanic Heritage Celebration, September 27
- Daily Announcements featuring a prominent Hispanic person and their contributions
Bowie Middle School
- Sombrero Day, September 16
- Show and Tell, September 19
- Tamales Social, October 2
- Latino Dance party, September 20 & 27 and October 4 & 11
- Hispanic Heritage Pep Rally, October 15
- Daily K-Cub announcements, September 16-October 15
Houston Middle School
- Dailey video announcements highlighting Hispanic Heritage Month
Lamar Middle School
- Hispanic Heritage Celebration: October 10th. 5:30 p.m.-7:00 p.m.
Nimitz High School
- Hispanic Heritage Night: October 10th. 5 p.m.-8 p.m.